Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Could Not Find An Editor For H (.) files' Error


I encountered this problem when creating a new signature in Outlook 2003 on Vista and then when I press the Advanced Edit button, the error message is "Could not find an editor for H (.) files"
I tried some suggestions from the forums then merged them together and finally solved the problem.

*Note: Make it sure that you are in ADMINISTRATOR  account before doing this step or if you are in local user  accounts, make that user as an administrator first. Then after doing the steps, make it as local user account again.

Here are the steps:

1. Control Panel> User Accounts
2. Click 'Turn User Account Control on or Off
3. 'Uncheck the box with a tick in it marked 'Use User Account Control to help protect your computer'
4. You computer will then need to restart.
5. From IE, choose Tools--Internet Options--and click on the Programs tab.
6. Change HTML editor to Wordpad/Notepad. Click apply and OK.
7. Now, change the HTML editor again--this time, back to Microsoft Word. Click apply and OK.
8. Open the advanced editor in Outlook 2003, add your signature with special fonts, images etc. Save and close the advanced editor program you used, clicking OK or Yes to all questions to get out of the Options Menu and back to your Outlook home page.
9. Test to make sure it works.
10. Then shut Outlook 2003 down and go back to Control Panel> User Accounts
11. Click 'Turn User Account Control on or Off' again
12. This time check the box next to 'Use User Account Control to help protect your computer'
13. Your computer will restart again.
14. Open Outlook and test again. It should work fine.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yey! It worked

Unknown said...

This works, when all the other solutions on the Internet didn't. My thanks go out to Nante9 for their help with this one.

nante9 said...

You're both welcome and thanks for visiting my site. I'm glad that my post helped you. If you have other issues, just leave a comment here.Thanks

Jenae said...

Thanks Nante. I am so happy to have come across your post as I was pulling my hair out :)

Jerry Sells Florida. That's what I do! said...

I'm Running Windows 7 Ultimate and have this same error. NOTHING has worked yet. Any advice for Win7?

Nante9 said...

Hi Jerry! For Windows 7, do the same steps.

Unknown said...

thank you!! it works on win7!

GUYFROGGY said...

I am using windows 7 Home premium and I cannot find "Turn user account control button!

nante9 said...

@Mateo Gabella. That's great that these steps worked for you! Congrats!

nante9 said...

Hi Guyfroggy! Just go to Control Panel, then User Accounts, click your user account and you will see "Turn User Account On or Off".
You can do it! Explore...Goodluck!

GUYFROGGY said...

Hi Nante9
I am afraid that I keep exploring but I am not getting anywhere.
Opening User Account gives me the following options:
Create a new password...no good
Change picutre...no good
Change account name....no good
Change account type...no option available since I am Administrator
Manage another account....no good
Change user account settings. This refers to changes on the PC...no good
And that's it.....

nante9 said...

Hi Guyfroggy,
I guess your User Account Control settings was changed. Check the link which could help you solve your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978591

GUYFROGGY said...

Well I founs another way as the link was useless....
Open outlook and create a new message..NEW.
Then in options in toolbar choose Email signature and you will be able to edit or create any signature without having to open an editor.....
VOILA and JOYEUX NOEL TO ALL.

GUYFROGGY said...

Well I founs another way as the link was useless....
Open outlook and create a new message..NEW.
Then in options in toolbar choose Email signature and you will be able to edit or create any signature without having to open an editor.....
VOILA and JOYEUX NOEL TO ALL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online | nante aranda's random notes